Friday, June 20, 2008

Are you an Excel Experts?



Do you want to become excel expert? I hope every marketer need to use excel when they do various data analysis regarding their products, brands or customers. But I have seen some marketers think knowledge of excel is not need to fine tune the their job, it is statistics analysts’ job and the tool they used. But I know with my experience, mastering excel always help to save our time and the effective analysis can carried out. Small functions help to convert row data to meaningful decisions. Presentation of findings can be more attractive and effective.

I thought to summarized some features I used when I am doing my day today analysis by using excel.

01. Text to columns

This feature helps to separate the part of content in one cell. If one column has most similar content and you want to separate those to several columns, you can do it by using this feature by selecting a special character like , space, _ and etc. or even using fixed width.

02. Past special

Past all will past the original data and if you need to change the formatting or formula, again you have to select the needed cells and do the formatting.

If you click on formula, only formula will copy not the data will come, if need dame formula to apply another place, this is ideal way to copy and add the data to that cells.

If you want to add data in one location with data in another location, use the past special and tick on add – operation. Then new cell will show the sum of both cells, as same adding, you can subtract, multiply or divide the two data sets. No need to use formula or the third cell to combine both

If you data are spreaded and it is more difficult to remove the blank cells , do not worry, select all the cells which contain data and the blank too and copy special to another cell and tick “skip blanks” then all spec will remove’

When I was university, I was trying to convert column data to row data. But that time it could not possible me to at one click, poorly, I did one by one copied. But now I know, select the column you want and past special and tick transpose, then data will copies to raw as same order. It was very easy for me than copy one by one, when the data cells are large no, you will feel the release from it.

There are more I have notice, will continue this next week too

No comments: